"The king of Gulfjellet" - Anton Berge, took the initiative for constructing Redningshytten (the rescue hut) on Gulfjellet. The direct cause for this was a woman getting injured on the mountain on a winter's day. It took considerable time to bring up a rescue sled, and get the woman safely down for treatment. Berge felt that something needed to be done about this, and began the work of raising funds and labour for the construction of the hut.

The first rescue hut was built in stone, and was completed during the summer of 1929. There was however need for a larger building, and in 1936, the new two-floor building stood complete.

From the construction of Redningshytten

Anton Berge was born on Møre, but moved to Bergen early on, and was employed by Bergens Befestning (coastal defence) Later, he became a stock broker and held for a while a position in the city council. In his early years, he was an able gymnast and swimmer and became a swimming instructor. Through being a stock broker, his efforts in raising funds for construction of the hut, fell easier.

Anton Berge, Vossevangen 1930

Several fully equipped sheds for rescue sleds, bridges and cairns were built. Today you will find large cairns from Trengereid to Osevann, Bontveit and Totland, each with a number and an arrow, showing the direction. In case the fog or a storm comes upon you, these cairns and arrows may turn out to be quite helpful, indeed.

Up to his last years, Anton Berge spent every week-end, summer as well as winter, by Redningshytten. He founded the "Stiftelsen Redningshytten på Gulfjellet" foundation. The well-known cross-country skier Mikal Dyngeland took over as the hut superintendant. Per date (Jan. 2005), Kjell Pedersen is the Chairman of the Board and Sverre Holm is the superintendant. A number of volunteers serve as hut attendants. The hut is always open, but only manned on Sundays.

The first skiers visiting Redningshytten in 1930

Gulfjellet became in the late 60's the catch area for the Bergen freshwater supply, with Lake Svartavatnet as the source. Bergen kommune disapproved the Redningshytten's toilet system, and a new system was built. This became an expensive project, as helicopter had to be used to transport the materials and the workers.

Lake Osevann is today the most frequently used trailhead. The land owners claim a parking fee on busy week-ends. Totland and Bontveit are also trailheads used regularly, while the formerly popular route from Trengereid to Haukeland is less used nowadays.

Gullfjellstoppen summit cairn
© Arnt Flatmo

The above story was written by Kjell Pedersen, and translated into English by me. The older photos are from the Ingvald Namtvedt collection (photographer unknown) Thanks to Tom Namtvedt for making these available, and Petter Bjørstad for assistance.

"Gulfjellet" is the name used by Stiftelsen Redningshytten på Gulfjellet, and is meant to describe a wind from the ocean. You will however see "Gullfjellet" on Norwegian maps. Lake Osevann is referred to as Osavatnet on Norwegian maps.

Bergen, Jan 2005, Arnt Flatmo

Back to Gullfjellstoppen main page westcoastpeaks.com