Norwegian Mountains, Møre og Romsdal
Sollia, 661m (Sollida)
Sollia seen from Hareidlandet
Sollia is the high point on Gurskøya island. The Sande/Herøy kommune border runs
across the summit and divides Gurskøya in two (seemingly) equal parts. A hike to Sollia
from Moldtudalen valley allows for a nice roundtrip across the tops Hestefjellet and Selsteinen,
both belonging to Herøy kommune.
Sollia is popular in winter as well as summer. Many routes lead up to the summit, but only the summer route
from Moldtudalen is described on this page. The terrain is overall gentle, looking aside from
certain cliffs here and there. The grassy, windblown meadows resemble terrain found on nearby islands, such
as Nerlandsøya, Runde and Sula. Fine terrain for skiing and easy terrain for walking.
Sollia (Norge 1:50,000: 660m, Økonomisk Kartverk: 661m, UTM 32 V 327503 6907191)
has a primary factor of 661m
being the island high point.
My GPS averaged to 661m (on the ground) over 10 minutes.
Hestefjellet (Norge 1:50,000: 621m, Økonomisk Kartverk: 621m, UTM 32 V 327041 6908066)
has a primary factor of 73m towards the higher parent Sollia (660m).
The saddle is found between the two tops. Ref. Ø.K., the saddle is within the range 545-550m,
interpolated to 548m.
Selsteinen (Norge 1:50,000: 598m, Økonomisk Kartverk: 597,66m, UTM 32 V 326463 6908973)
has a primary factor of 90m towards the higher parent Hestefjellet (621m).
The saddle is found between the two tops. Ref. Ø.K., the saddle is within the range 505-510m,
interpolated to 508m.
Class ratings are in reference to YDS. Click here for more information.
The trails described below are not necessarily the *easiest* trails to this mountain.
Moldtudalen - Sollia roundtrip (summer/autumn)
|Difficulty : ||Class 1 (YDS)|
|Exposure : ||No|
|Comments : ||Easy terrain|
|Distance : ||Approx. 8,4Km roundtrip|
|Time : ||Approx. 2,5-3 hours roundtrip|
|Starting Elev.: ||Approx. 220|
|Vertical Gain : ||Approx. 650m (total)||
Sollia seen from Skorpa
The nearest larger city is Ålesund. From Ålesund, follow highway E39 towards Bergen,
and then RV61 towards Hareid. Take the Sulesund - Hareid ferry and follow RV61 (roughly) 3Km towards Ulsteinvik.
At the roundabout junction outside Ulsteinvik, turn left and follow RV61 southbound until you
turn right when you see the "Måløy" sign. Follow RV654 towards Fosnavåg.
At the Fosnavåg/Moldtustranda junction (before the Herøy bridges), turn left towards
Moldtustranda. Drive 5,6Km and turn left just after a grocery store. Continue 2,4Km up to the
From the Moldtudalen trailhead, proceed on gravel road to Lake Mørkevatnet.
Continue on vague path on the east side of the lake and climb into Litledalen valley,
where you get a clear wiew towards Sollia. At the trail fork at 480m elevation, turn
right and climb Sollia's gentle west ridge to the summit, marked by a small cairn
and a container for the summit logbook.
Continue towards Hestefjellet, either by going around Lake Kjerringvatnet on the east
side, or head directly down to the west side of the lake and go off-trail up to
Continue towards Selsteinen by following a visible (and partly steep) path from Hestefjellet.
From Selsteinen, descend on (and off) path into the valley between Storehanen and Selsteinen.
A path will take you back to the gravel road.
Pictures and trip reports
- Syrebakkane, Sollia, Aug 27 2022
- Selsteinen, Aug 1 2022
- Selsteinen - Slettheia - Øyrahornet - Rysseviktua - Storehanen, Jun 26 2022
- Nonshornet - Sollia, Jun 11 2022
- Selsteinen - Slettheia, Jun 9 2022
- Selsteinen - Storehanen, Jun 2 2022
- Øyrahornet - Slettheia - Sandvikhornet, May 20 2022
- Slettheia from Sandvika, May 4 2022
- Storehanen from Moltu, Apr 27 2022
- Sollia from Moltu, Apr 20 2022
- Sollia on skis, Mar 7 2022
- Sollia on skis (skis, foot, bike), Mar 6 2022
- Sletteheidane on skis from Leikongsætra, Jan 10 2022
- Ski-skating on Leikongeidet, Jan 9 2022
- Ski-skating on Leikongeidet, Jan 8 2022
- Selsteinen - Storehanen, Jun 16 2021
- Sollia - painting sticks, Jun 8 2021
- Sollia - painting sticks, Jun 5 2021
- Sollia - painting sticks, Jun 1 2021
- Sollia via the forest creek, May 28 2021
- Storehanen from Moltu, May 3 2021
- Sollia on skis, Apr 16 2021
- Selsteinen & Hestefjellet, Mar 23 2021
- Sletteheidane on skis from Leikongsætra, Feb 17 2021
- Sollia on skis from Leikongsætra, Jan 15 2021
- Sletteheidane on skis from Leikongsætra, Jan 13 2021
- Sollia from Leikongsætra. Ice on Holmevatnet, Dec 11 2020
- Nonshornet - Sollia - Øyrahornet (lottery), Oct 24 2020
- Øyrahornet - Selsteinen - Sandvikhornet, Oct 15 2020
- Selsteinen & Storehanen - marking new route, Sep 28 2020
- Sollia, Hestefjellet from Moltudalen, Sep 25 2020
- Nonshornet, Sollia from Tjørvåg, Sep 2 2020
- Selsteinen & Storehanen - marking new route, Aug 30 2020
- Slettheia - marking new route, Aug 9 2020
- Selsteinen, July 5 2020
- Slettheia - marking new route, Jun 28 2020
- Slettheia - marking new route, Jun 24 2020
- Slettheia - marking new route, Jun 21 2020
- Slettheia - marking new route, Jun 18 2020
- Rjåhornet - Sollia, Jun 14 2020
- Sandvikhornet - Storehanen - Selsteinen - Øyrahornet, June 13 2020
- Nonshornet - Sollia, Jun 11 2020
- Selsteinen - Storehanen, Mar 31 2020
- Sollia - Rjåhornet - Røddalshorn: best ski-trip on Gurskøya ever, Mar 21 2020
- Nonshornet - Sollia - 598m, Jan 26 2020
- Rjåhornet - Sollia - Nonshonet, Turstiprosjektet, Nov 2 2019
- Storehanen w/Anne, Oct 11 2019
- Repainting sticks on Sollia, Sep 25 2019
- Signposts by lake Holmevatnet, Aug 27 2019
- Sollia (Turstiprosjektet), Aug 5 2019
- Storehanen in fog and rain, May 22 2019
- Sollia, Rjåhornet & Huldrehornet on skis, Jan 27 2019
- Sollia, Oct 11 2018
- Sandvikhornet - Storehanen - Selsteinen - Øyrahornet, Sep 23 2018
- Rainy hike across Storehanen, Sep 13 2018
- New path along Holmevatnet, May 28-30 2018
- Around Moltudalen, May 4 2018
- Sollia, ski-trip, Apr 11 2018
- Sollia, ski-trip, Feb 19 2018
- Sollia, ski-trip w/Anne, Feb 26 2017
- Sollia - Rjåhornet (TURSTIPROSJEKTET), Oct 20 2016
- Sollia - jog from Leikongeidet, Aug 16 2016
- Sollia from Tuftene, Apr 2 2016
- Slettheia on skis (w/Anne), Dec 11 2011
- Sandvik - Sandvikhornet - Storehanen - Moltudalen, Mar 25 2011
- Moltudalen - Selsteinen - Slettheia - Tjørvåg on skis, Mar 13 2011
- Øyrahornet on skis, Dec 24 2010
- The swans at Øyravatnet, Apr 12 2010
- Brandtua, Syrebakkane, Hestefjellet & Selsteinen, May 10 2009
- Moon days, Nov 2-5 2009
- Brandhornet (Fjellsenden), Oct 31 2009
- Sandvikhornet and Skåla, Oct 22 2009
- Sollia & bike trip, Oct 18 2009
- Sandvikhornet x 3 + swans, Apr - June 2009
- Storehanen, Selsteinen, Hestefjellet, Sollia, Apr 28 2009
- Grøthornet, Apr 4 2009
- "Ryssevikhanen", Sandvikhornet, Øyrahornet, Skåla, Mar 1 2009
- Storehanen on skis, Feb 14 2009
- Sandvikhornet after dark (& new camera house), Feb 5 2009
- Sandvikhornet after dark, Jan 29 2009
- Sandvikhornet after dark, Jan 26 2009
- Øyrahornet from Tjørvågane, Jan 3 2009
- Sollia, June 30 2006
- Sollia seen from other mountains
Other Møre & Romsdal mountains
Other Norwegian mountains